Get to know Dr. Puterman
An Experienced Periodontist in Bethesda and Washington DC
Dr. Israel Puterman grew up in Montreal, Canada before moving to Boston in 1998 to attend dental school at Boston University. During his time there, he began to see the impact that dental implants were having on patients and decided to make this complex field his lifelong area of expertise.
Extensive Training and Advanced Education
Full-time residency training in Implant Dentistry is something that is quite rare, and only three such programs exist in the US. Following graduation from Boston University, Dr. Puterman completed the oldest, longest, and most prestigious Implant Dentistry residency, at Loma Linda University in California. The intense three-year training involved treating the most complex case types, and included advanced training in bone grafting (sinus grafting and autogenous block grafting), microsurgery, prosthodontics, general anesthesia, oral and IV sedation, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, and even dental lab training. While Dr. Puterman only practices the surgical aspect of implant dentistry, he is fully experienced in all aspects of your implant care.
During his Implant training, Dr. Puterman realized that in order to be able to deliver the highest level of care to his patients, becoming a periodontist was something that was critical. That’s why he went on to complete an additional three-year residency in periodontics. Only periodontists have advanced expertise in the soft tissue aspects of dentistry and if you ask any dentist what makes an implant case an esthetic success, the answer is always “the gum tissue”.
Dr. Puterman moved to the Washington, DC area with his wife, Jennifer, in 2008 and has been practicing here since then. While he is open to the idea of his young sons Asher and Nate growing up cheering for the Capitals and Nationals, his heart still belongs to the Canadiens and long-lost Expos.
He is on staff at the University of Maryland graduate program in periodontics and is involved with many local study clubs and dental societies, serving on several committees. He is also a Reviewer for the Journal of Periodontics, the official journal of the American Academy of Periodontology.
The DC area is blessed with many extremely talented general dentists and specialists and Dr. Puterman is proud to work in tandem with the city’s best. He is committed to advancing, serving and growing with our local dental community.
Dr. Puterman’s awards and accomplishments include:
- Named by dentists as one of the Washington DC area’s top periodontists in the last three Washingtonian magazine surveys, 2011, 2013 and 2015.
- License to practice IV and oral conscious sedation
- One of the only periodontists in the greater DC area with this training and ability
- Certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Master of Science in Periodontics, Loma Linda University
- Developed and directed a clinical study that examined the healing of gum grafting as well as a method to increase post-surgical patient comfort. This project won the first place prize for Outstanding Research by the California Society of Periodontists.
- Certificate in Graduate Periodontics (3-year residency), Loma Linda University
- Certificate in Advanced Education in Implant Dentistry (3-year residency), Loma Linda University
- Part of a group of researchers that was commissioned by the American Dental Association to study and publish a review of every piece of literature that compared the success rates of dental implants with root canal treatment and fixed bridges.
- Published articles in the peer-reviewed Journal of Prosthodontics, the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, the Journal of the California Dental Association, Periodontal Practice Today.
- Microsurgery training course given by Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- First Place Prize of Outstanding Research Award by the California Society of Periodontists
- First Place Prize of Outstanding Proficiency as a Resident, by the Western Society of Periodontists
- First Place Prize of Robert L Merin Award for Outstanding Resident Leadership, by the California Society of Periodontists
- First Place Prize of Best Table Clinic at the American Academy of Implant Dentistry 2004 Annual Meeting
- Award for Outstanding Achievement and Excellence in Patient and Practice Management, by Boston University School of Dental Medicine
- Dean’s List at Boston University School of Dental Medicine
- Bachelor Of Science in Cell and Molecular Biology, from Concordia University in Montreal, Canada
- Participated in laboratory research in the fields of HIV, breast cancer, and diabetes at McGill University and University of Toronto.