Gum Grafting Bethesda and Washington DC
Gum recession can have many causes, including aggressive toothbrushing, “thin” gum tissue, tooth crowding, outward position of the teeth, uneven and heavy biting forces, poor oral hygiene, and everyone’s favorite: genetics. In most Bethesda and Washington DC patients, it is multi-factorial involving several of these issues. If you have gum recession, it may be possible to be reversed by grafting gum tissue to cover the exposed roots. And like with most surgical procedures, of course it’s easier to achieve a perfect result when treated earlier, rather than later.
Other reasons for gum grafting include:
- The addition of “better quality” tissue around the teeth, when inflammation exists or is likely to occur.
- The bulking up of the area around an implant or underneath a bridge
Whatever the reason for grafting, it can frequently be done without the use of your own tissue. Your set of individual circumstances will determine the best way to get the results that you want.
There are many benefits to gum grafting, including:
- More support for the tooth
- Less root cavities
- Less plaque build-up
- Make it easier for you to clean your teeth and gums
- Make your teeth less sensitive to cold drinks and ice cream
- Make your teeth less sensitive when cleaned by the hygienist
- Younger appearance (this is where the expression “long in the tooth” comes from)
If you believe you are a good candidate for a gum grafting procedure, contact our office in the Bethesda and Washington DC area to schedule a consultation. Call (301) 652-0939.
Correction of gum recession (with donor tissue)
Improvement in quality of tissue